Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Name is Ashuna and I suck at Arena

I figured the support group introduction would be appropriate.

The title pretty much says it all. I'm good in BG's, I don't die terribly often and I'm good at keeping others alive.

So first a rundown of some pertinent facts.

I am on a 3v3 team.

I have like 50 resil, but it doesn't really matter because our ranking is so low that our opponents have sucktastic resil as well.

I have a tad over 1700 healing and a bit under 700 damage unbuffed.

With that said, I am lost as far as how to be competitive in the arena. I lack any HoT, Instant cast heal, or shield.

My 41 point talent (Earthshield) is gone almost the second I put it up. Usually I try not to start the fight with it up so as not to give up my spec right off the bat. I cast soon after combat has commenced in the hopes that a dispeller will miss it.

So what I need to figure out is, aside from more resil gear. What should I be doing?

What classes have good synergy with Resto Shammy's in 3v3. What tactics should I be employing?

For totems I usually rock Grounding for casters, Earthbind or Tremor to slow people down or mitigate CC, Magma totem for AoE and to break invis opponents, and mana spring/mana tide. (mana spring first to see how fast it gets nuked. If it stays for a couple of seconds I usually drop tide.)

I also drop Heroism fairly early on.

If I get jumped by say a rogue, what is the best way to stay alive/keep teammates alive?

Even if you aren't a resto shammy yourself, have you faced any in arena that were effective? If so, how?

In reality I'm in the "welfare epic" category. The current plan is to farm arena to get the healing chest and then from there gain the points to put together an Enhancement set.

Kara + Badges suck for Enhancement shaman. (And Ret paladins while we're at it)

All the mail gear is for hunters. AGIL / INT /AP. Nothing that is STR/CRIT/AP / INT. It really kind of sucks when you look at it. I don't know why they did it that way. I'm getting off topic here.

So, My name is Ashuna and I suck at Arena....

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in getting help right?

I need Meg from OOM to read this, she seems to have loads of teh knowledge about this stuff.

5 comments:

Zerei said...

Hello thar!

In 3v3, shaman pair well with rogues and warriors, largely through the use of Heroism and Windfury Totems. Really, though, they work well with anyone from what I've seen, and can adapt around those they're paired with.

Your task is difficult as like you said you have no HoT. You have to rely on the power of Earth Shield to buy you time to get a heal off. Just make sure you have it on whoever is taking the hits.

One thing you can do is harass your opponent's healer with Earthshock. Bind it to a key and try a mouseover macro.

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover] Earthshock(Rank 1)

If you find yourself unable to keep your teammates alive through focus fire, it boils down to them needing more stamina and resilience.

Learn to LoS (Line of Sight) your opposition in the case of ranged opponents, and make sure your allies turn to help you "tank" melee'rs. If you've got a rogue stunlocking you while some other dpser beats you into the dirt, you're not going to be able to do much. Your dps needs to control or otherwise slow down those that are attacking you so you can do your job.

You may need increased stamina and resilience yourself if you cannot take the beating you are receiving. If your opponents are focus firing you, find ways to disallow them from doing so. Run away from them to get out of range, duck around pillars and other objects to LoS them.

Other than that it really sounds like you're doing everything you need to do. I haven't played a shaman at level 70 myself so I can't enumerate everything you can do but hopefully this helps :)

Honors Code said...

When we see a Shaman on the other team, we want to figure out his spec as quickly as we can. We look for which "ball" he's got around him. Enhance tends to go with Lightning and Ele tends to go with Water.

We want to be sure to engage his team away from his totems so he has to spend mana and global cooldowns to recast them.

Elemental Shamans, I want something with a fast attack speed on them (Rogue, Fury Warrior, Hunter pet). Not only are you doing damage to them, but you are slowing down their dps.

Both Ele and Enhance are attractive first targets.

We tend to leave Resto Shamans for later on. They take too long to kill.

From the other side of the match, it looks like Resto Shamans have rediculously fast heals that cost almost no mana and heal for a whole bunch. Earthshield seems to heal for a very good amount, and they seem to break LoS or range with a near instant shift to Wolf.

Anonymous said...

I've no great love for arena, but from what I've seen from all the Arena PvPing videos and PvPing advice from my guildies, 70% uninterrupted casts, poo shield, and 50% chance of a 10% self heal when you are under 50% hp, works extremely well together. Every single class would have a extremely hard time to try and outlast you.

LoS is your friend against casters! In 3v3, if they really want to go for you, they are stupid, just heal yourself while your teammates pick them off, concentrating fire on one of them. Have a strategy for killing order before the arenas; don't make decisions on the spot.

Oh, and get more resilience ;-) around 200 at least should be easy to get with some resilience gems, even the blue resilience spirit shard gears from AC instances, and the +15 resili enchants to chest and shield.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1237126]Raize iPod Video Converter[/url] [url=http://www.solonoilista.altervista.org/bloghoster/?u=videosearden7]Allok Video to MP4 Converter 4.7.1119[/url]
Cute MKV Converter Xilisoft YouTube Video Converter 1.0.76.0803
http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1237377 Magicbit iPod Video Converter 1.4.33.101
[url=http://www.adulthostedblogs.com/?u=videosealbert9]Ultra Mobile 3GP Video Converter 3.2.0714[/url] [url=http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1238234]NeuView Media Player Pro 6.0.8.0253[/url]
4Videosoft MKV Video Converter RZ MOV Converter
http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1237137 LoomTV Desktop Edition
oRipa Video Recorder
my icq:858499940385

Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards