Monday, November 19, 2007

Savage Eidolon + Curator =

(this is a brick wall btw)

So, before we get ahead of ourselves. Here is our WWS report from last night.

As you can see our DPS is still sub par.

We stumbled on Maiden and got slowed down on the trash. So we needed to re-clear. We got the strat down and on one attempt we had her down to 4000hp when we wiped. It sucked. Regardless we downed her and i think now that everyone is accustomed to the fight (myself included) it will go much much smoother.

So we trudged on, we had a couple more wipes. Those two mech looking guys on the stairs before curator whooped us. And we Died again pulling some of the trash in Curators room.

There were a few other delays but eventually we got a few attempts off.

What did we learn?

We just don't have the DPS to take down Curator right now. The Arcane adds weren't dying fast enough and during evocates we were only doing around 15-20% damage to him. With how mana intensive the fight is, that just isn't going to cut it.

We had 3 locks with us this time, from what I heard I thought this would be a good thing. Apparently Curse of Doom can do some serious damage to him while he's evocating. I thought 3 of those going off at the same time might help give us an edge. It just didn't work out that way.

Unlike previous bosses there were strats we could try and things we could do differently. And while thats also true here, it was obvious that we just didn't have enough of what we needed to take this guy down. No matter how we changed it up.

One thing we did right, we had everyone make a macro to target flares. (Hopefully everyone did) and we were calling out when the flares popped and when to jump back on to Curator.

Things I'm not sure about.

All mana users should have 10 major mana pots on them. Also they should be using them as soon as they are out however much mana a potion restores to get the cooldown going.

We needed to get better timing on Curse of Doom, I don't think that it was going off at the right time.

Also, we probably need to sub out the second tank during this fight for another DPS. We tried this once, but I think its going to have to be the go to strat. If not another DPS, another healer anyway.

Now that we've had WWS up and running for a bit there are a few things I've noticed.

Compared to the mage, the locks have a very high miss rate. Is this common for locks or would it be worthwhile to have them get some +spell hit gear. What is the magic number for this?

Also, I noticed that 2 of the 3 are "hybrid" specs. They don't have any 41 point talents. For a PVE damage build, which is the most viable? Which is least?

The Paly also has a fairly high miss rate which hurts the cause.

So now the plan is basically to hold off on progression for a bit. We're going to farm the bosses we can do (Attumen, Moroes, Opera, Maiden), collect badges, run heroics, recruit tanks and healers, and get people keyed.

We're going to gear up, I don't think it will take too long and then try to move forward again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curse of Doom, if cast at the right time, will indeed help you on Curator - but... too many Warlocks are actually a problem because your first priority is to deal with flares, and warlocks tend to be extremely slow damage dealers.

We usually try (whenever possible) to have at least 3 melee damage dealers for Curator, and organize ourselves in four lines:
1 - tank on Curator
2 - melee DPS intercepting flares (and hopefully keeping them in place, you don't want melee DPS having to run all the time to catch the next flare)
3 - range DPS
4 - healers (still within MT healing range)

This way we down the flares before they reach the healers. And yes, we usually have three healers.

Brohuld

Ashuna said...

Thats a good point. Ideally I would like to go back to a DPS build. I respec'd last night and it was awesome. If we could grab another capable healer, I could go DPS and then equip my +healing set for this fight.

Hopefully one day.

TxMedic83 said...

Ash -- I had a long conversation last night with a veteran Kara lock and did some additional research. I'm in the process of stacking +spell hit gear. I've also changed my spec up to include Unstable Affliction, Supression (to reduce my resists), and imp shadow bolt. I left a note on the forum detailing a lot of this - but today went for a BM run and on the rift lords / Temporus / Deja I was doing between 600 and 800 dps which is a far cry better than where I was at. I intend to look into WWS as well to see if I can't maximize my output... Please keep blogging away as your insights are very helpful.

TxMedic83 said...

Btw - I'm Medilock heh

Anonymous said...

HEY..so does the HUNTER!

I swear I get no respect!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you need around 1900 raid dps to down the flares fast enough. Which
is pretty easy to get. (As a 9/49/3 Hunter, I'm doing around 900 dps in raids).

btw, tell your hunter to use steady shot more =) even though it doesn't do much damage if he has not much RAP (I have 2.2k unbuffed), it's MUCH better than multi or arcane, and much more mana efficient.

Anonymous said...

hungryshadow:
I dont use a macro, so I tend to use a variety of shots. I also use aspect of the viper to keep me from OOM.

But, yeah, steady, auto, arcane.

My RAP is still under 2k w/out buffs...trying to figure out where iim loosing the rap..